Sunday, December 23, 2012
Saturday, December 22, 2012
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
This certainly is an easy task for one only has to take 2 hrs out of the busy Christmas season. Fortunately in a week where Southern Az. has had some cooler and rainier weather, I had a pleasant sunny afternoon. Standing outside of Walmart had its conflicting feelings. Especially since I have mixed feeling about Walmart particularly since this morning the New York Times had an article on the corruption of Walmart in Mexico as it tries to avoid local labor laws. Watching flat screen TV's and all sorts of non essential Christmas gifts being wheeled past me and knowing the World's suffering, was confusing to say the least. But that is what Christmas is all about today.
But it was mainly a cheerful experience.
What I learned.
- Kids like to put money, especially coins in the kettle. Particularly curious was a little red haired
boys who looked at the coins in his had and walked right by.
- The Salvation Army is highly respected in the community. One War Vet talked about the SA
providing coffee when he was near the front line. Many people simply thanked me for being a bell
- a man that puts his hand over his back pocket wallet isn't necessary preparing to give.
- if one person gives, it is more likely that others will.
- Head down eyes on the side walk "if I don't see her maybe she won't see me".
- "Hello, Merry Christmas" and walk by usually tells me that have given generously before.
-someone you know doesn't mean a donation.
- someone from my church didn't mean a donation.
Also: It is very difficult to play Christmas songs on a single Salvation Army bell.
"Frosty the Snowman" works the best.
"Alexander's Rag TIme Band" is doable.
Monday, December 17, 2012
Lunch at Little Anthony's Diner. A real replica of a 50's and 60's diner. Complete with pink Cadillac.
Burgers and fries, malts and sundaes.
Who is going to admit that they remember that?
The show was fun with lots of puns and humor. The singers were all very good.
And the story - Holiday perfect!
And one of the best pop piano players I have heard. Her fingers flew over the keys.
Endless popcorn and servers in festive costume.