Wednesday, September 9, 2009

PMU -The Problem

So what's the problem with using pregnant mare urine and is it necessary? I have no problem with women using premarin products when indicated. I took them for 15 years and can honestly say, originally, they saved my life. And possibly my husbands. I should have come off them sooner. I believe the lengthy use contributed to my recent breast cancer.The problem is collection of urine. Pregnant mares are kept in small stalls and fitted with collection devices or catheters the last 6 months (160-180 days) of pregnancy. This is normally October to April, when the spring foals are born. Many organizations are apposed this confinement and abuse of horses.

Next posts will discuss what happens to the foals and can be done to discourage the use of PMU.

No comments:

Post a Comment