Monday, August 17, 2009

Mt. Lemmon on a Monday

Monday is a good day to drive up the Catalina Hiway to Summerhaven and the Ski area.

Traffic is less. The Ski area and the Iron Door Restaurant is open for lunch (closed on Tues. and Wed.) Lots of good vistas, including looking back on Tucson and the Santa Cruz Valley. And what better thing to do on a near record breaking hot day in Green Valley.

I have not been up there since the fire several years ago. I remember the construction traffic when the hiway was being widened. It is now a pleasure to drive.

And I learned a new word. "Hoodoo". Those with me
were familiar with the term to describe these tall,
thin, totem pole like stone formations. The term best describes formations in Bryce Canyon and in our Az. Chiricahuas. Although not red like these areas, the Catalina Hiway has a number of these stunning rock formations. So how I escaped not learning this term until now; who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment