Monday, November 16, 2009

Live Theater in Tucson

When we moved here in 1988 from the Twin Cities of Minnesota, we did not expect the quality of the arts that we had experienced with The Gutherie Theater and the Minnesota Symphony.

We were soon pleased to discover the Tucson Symphony and the Arizona Theater Company.

Recently I have discovered small intimate theater in Tucson; specifically the Invisible Theater and the Rogue Theater.

The Rogue dares to take on the most complex of plays in performing the Pulitzer Prize winning play "A Delicate Balance" by Edward Albee. "The Goat" another daring play by Albee was the first play I saw performed by the actors of the Rogue.

I frequently hear friends say "I like happy plays and movies. I don't need any of this heavy stuff".

I like the heavy stuff. I like to leave a film or play and have to think about it, mull it over in my mind, dissect it and try to absorb and identify with the emotions presented.
For example. The recent production at ATC -"George is Dead" staring Marlo Thomas in an Elaine May play left me wanting. It was silly, thin, and easily forgotten. In contrast Albee's "A Delicate Balance" was rich, full and exquisitely performed.

Friends Pam, Dee Dee, Marianna, Kathy,Susan and I had a great deal to talk about after the play. A memorable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment