Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Movie Reviews

Saw four movies recently. Here they are in order of the best liked to the least liked.

#1- This is It- The Michael Jackson Movie was incredible. What a joy for his director/producer to put this footage together to share with the public. Yes, I know he made money but I was touched by the story of how he put together a performance. I wasn't an avid fan but thought that Jackson could put lyrics together that were very touching. I.e The Man in the Mirror that talked about personal responsibility for the woes of the world. He changed the art of dancing to music and his performance was truly art.

#2 Where the Wild Things Are . I loved this movie. I liked the portrayal of anger by the young boy; how he runs away in frustration to find a land with almost monsters who make him King.
Here among these marvelous and often scary creatures he finds that he is not the only one with emotions, some good, some bad. The larger than life puppets were remarkably real. This would make a good books to films since it begs to be discussed.

#3 - A Serious Man - the Cohen Brothers latest film and said by some to be their best. It is very Jewish. Had it not been made by the Cohens, I would have said that it went over the top in stereotyping Jews. Taking place in Minnespolis made it more interesting to me. Loosely based on the book of Job, when God tests Job. When Job is spit up by the whale, he finds that God remains a mystery. So it is with the main character who faces many trials and doesn't understand why God is punishing him. As a 'goy' it almost seemed like I was on the outside looking in at this culture.

#4 -The Men Who Stare at Goats - A comedy caper with Clooney. Supposedly based on a true story of military psychics, this movie has a lot of big names in addition George Clooney. Ewan MacGregor, Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges. Taking place in Iraq, the psychics get in a lot of trouble that provides laughes. I thought it was silly but my husband laughed a lot. And that is important to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment