Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Academy Awards

I can't put it off any longer. I must make my annual list. However this list will not be my predictions. Rather it is a list of those picks I would make if I were a voting member of the academy.

Actor in a leading role. I have seen all of the roles except for Colin Firth in "A Single Man". Based on trailers, I think he has a good chance. But I am going to select new comer Jeremy Renner.

Actor in a supporting role. Although he is not one of my favorites, Christopher Plummer did a great Leo Tolstoy in the "Last Station." Why he is in this category instead of the above is beyond me. But my vote would go to the other Christopher, Christopher Waltz as the German General in "Inglorious Bastards".

Actress in a leading role. The acting in "Precious" was top notch by everyone in the movie. One can't deny the talent of beginner Gabourey Sidebe. But I am going to give it to the grand dames of film. A tie between Helen Mirren in the "Last Station" and Meryl Streep in "Julie and Julia"..

Actress in a supporting role. No contest here. Singer & Comedian Mo'Nique was just awesome in the role of the awful mother of Precious.

Best Animated feature film. No contest here either. Disney's "UP" takes the prize. And those of you who won't go to animation are really missing a pleasant experience. One of the biggest advances in movies in the last 10 years is in the quality and variety of animation.

Achievement in Art direction. I would give this to my favorite movie of the year "Avatar".

Achievement in Cinematography. My vote on this category is for "Hurt Locker"

Achievement in Directing. Kathryn Bigelow for her direction of "Hurt Locker". Only four women have been nominated for Best Direction. Bigelow has a big chance of being the first woman selected.

BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
Ten movies this year. I have seen them all with the exception of "An Education".

#1 "Avatar" (20th Century Fox) This was a beautiful movie. I loved every thing about it. The music, the story, the hero, the bad guy and the message. It would be my pick for best picture.


#2"The Hurt Locker" (Summit Entertainment)


#3"District 9" (Sony Pictures Releasing)


#4"The Blind Side" (Warner Bros.)


#5"Inglourious Basterds" (The Weinstein Company)


#6"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" (Lionsgate)


#7"A Serious Man" (Focus Features)


#8"Up" (Walt Disney)


#9 "Up the Air" (Paramount in association with Cold Spring Pictures and DW Studios)


"An Education" (Sony Pictures Classics) not seen by me

Another one I missed was "A Single Man".




Under rated "Nine"
Over rated "Up in the air"





No comments:

Post a Comment