Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ducks & other water birds







These are the ducks & others water birds that were at the Pima County water treatment plant this week.

Many of the front ponds were empty and new ponds are being built and there were some we
weren't permitted to go to.

One of my favorite is the Ruddy Duck. I remember
when I first saw this duck in a pond in California.
I was fascinated with it blue bill and by the way
it dipped its head into the water with it little tail upward.



The Northern Shoveler has the large wide black
bill which gives him his name. He moves along doing what his name implies.


The Bufflehead male, along with a couple of females is a favorite of many of the birders out
that day.





A Green Winged Teal couple hugged the shore of the second pond.

The American Wigeon, identified by its white stripe of the head bordered by green and white
spot on the wing, cruised casually.





The Pintail, one of my favorites has the
white ? mark on the back of each
cheek and very thin long pin tail feathers.






And last but not least was the little Eared Grebe.
This is a busy little bird diving, coming up briefly and
diving again. And unlike the ducks that swim along in
groups occasionally diving, the Grebe is solitary.
I don't remember if I have ever seen more that one
in a pond.

Least Sandpipers worked the shores of the ponds.
My blog did not want to take another photo as
much as I tried. Listening to Garrison Keillor as
I tried. This is not as easy at one might think.


Why do birds like the water treatment plant?
Of course there is water. But food? Yuk!!
What do they eat? I tried to find the answer to
this question and doing so found that many ducks
do die from chemicals in the water.

These are the usual ducks found in this area. Sometimes
others come. A Ross Goose came several years.
A Muscovy duck was supposed to be here
but I did not see it.


photos from Google Images




















































Add Image

No comments:

Post a Comment