Saturday, December 18, 2010

Black Swan - Review

This is probably one of those movies that will get great press, everyone will love but that I found just OK. It is a difficult movie to review because it is one of those that they caution not to discuss the ending. Although I found the ending not too surprising. I doubt that it is a very accurate portrayal of life in ballet. However bitchiness probably does exist in this competitive arena. The cinematography was unsettling with too close of close-ups. I have mentioned this annoying trend before. Also the shaky hand held camera technique that is popular has no business in this film. There is no doubt that Natalie Portman has knocked herself out in this role. Supporting roles by Winona Ryder and Barbara Hershey are excellent. I was caught confused by the numerous bloody theatrics in that it was hard to tell the reality of the viewer from the reality of Nina the ballerina.

No comments:

Post a Comment