Friday, March 23, 2012

"We need to talk about Kevin'' -The Movie



I waited many weeks for this film to come to the Loft. I saw it. I think I know why it didn't go mainstream.
Based on the novel of the same name by Lionel Shriver, this movie is written by AND directed by Lynne Ramsay. It is the story of a mother, Tilda Swinton, who gives birth to a baby "from hell", crying constantly who becomes toddler, 6 to 8 yr old and finally into the predicted cruel and evil adolescent. It must be said that the acting is great -and the direction of the very young actors. Rocky Duer plays the toddler, Jasper Newell the 6-8 year old and Ezra Miller the teenager.
Directed and filmed in fragments of time goes in a confusing manner between before and after the "incident" which is the culmination of the movie. Add to this the sequences of dreams and visions it was hard to follow. The only clues to time is Swinton's haircut and the house she lives in. Franklin, John C. Riley, the father exists only on the periphery of the story as does the younger sister. The center of the story is KEVIN and EVA, his mother.

A well done, acted film. In my search on IMDB I am told it was not faithful to the book. I downloaded the ebook and we will see.

I can't give this a grade or even thumbs up or down. It is not for everyone. I don't want to suggest anyone seeing it or missing it. It is Creepy and Confusing but memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment