Sunday, July 12, 2009

Books to Film

I love books and I love film.
Several years ago I started a book discussion group that discussed films made from books.

Members are discouraged from stating one is better that the other. Rather, discussion is geared toward examining why and how one is different from the other.

Here are two examples. "The Diving Bell and The Butterfly" was a great book based on a memoir describing a mans experience being so paralyzed that he can only communicate by blinking his eye. A great book and a great film. BUT different. Makes for a good discussion.

Today I saw the movie made from the popular novel "My Sisters Keeper". I have read several novels by Picoult. Although she is always a 'good read', I have been disappointed in too many twist and turns and a resolution that is not believable. IMO
The ending of "My Sister's Keepers" was changed in the movie. This might be a disappointment to people who want the the movie to be 'true to the book'. BUT this is something that is impossible if one wants a good movie made from a good book. Two different art forms -book and film- should be appreciated for what they are and can't really be duplicated.
In this instance, the movie held up and the ending was more satisfying and believable that the book. IMO


See earlier blog on how I define film versus movie. July 25 -Maggie on the Movies

1 comment:

  1. Great post Maggie...how about Cormac McCarthy's brilliant No Country for Old Men vs. the Coen Brother's equally brilliant (but different) movie version? I almost always like the book better, but that's just a librarian talking...

    ReplyDelete