Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Genetic Counseling -results and cost of health care

Refer to previous blog about genetic testing for the BRAC1 and BRAC2 gene mutation as cause of cancer.

Good news is that I don't have the mutation gene, lessening my chance and the chance of the women in my family for breast cancer.

Guess I will have to blame the wine and not the genes.

Bad news is that this test cost $3,120 and I didn't know this until after the counseling and agreeing to the test.

One of the biggest reasons that the USA spends more $$ on health care than any other country and have less quality, is too many unnecessary tests.

And I think I am an informed consumer.

Hindsight is 20/20 but it is hard to make a decision when pressured by the fear of cancer. And a system that pressures for more tests. Medicare paid for it (so I am told)
Cost effective-no. Who pays for it? We all do!!!

photo Chihul glass art, Phoenix botanical gardens in May

No comments:

Post a Comment