Saturday, April 9, 2011

Az Buddy Movie Reviews

What's a person to do in a week when politicians have their heads in the sand and make you want to throw up.

Az Buddy goes to the movies. Two very good movies in one week. The first was "Source Code" reviewed early this week.
The second was "Hanna", a story about a teenager, raised by her father to be a trained killer. This is an action thriller with an indie feel to it. This is largely due to the fabulous set design. Loved the use of monochromatic tones from the snowy winter forests in the early part of the film to North Africa, often with only a single
placement of color.

This is an original story and screen play. It
reminded me of "The Professional", another
man and young girl assassin team. I recommend that movie also. It is a very different coming of age story.

Directed by Joe Wright who also directed the young actress Saoirse Ronan in "Atonement", who made the request to have him direct her in this movie. Cate Blanchet does a fine job of
playing the bad girl role. Interesting that Ronan
reminded me of a young Blanchet.

This will probably be a "Love it" or "Hate" it movie.
Az Buddy loved it. 4****.

When "127 hours" was in the theatre I couldn't get any one to go with me. Not that I don't go alone but I never did get around to it.
So it was my DVD of the week when my spouse was out playing bridge for the afternoon.

Although the scenery of Canyon lands Utah was great and the performance by James Franco was
first rate, I thought that this films was mediocre.
Maybe because we knew what the out come
would be. I found it quite tedious and had a hard
time keeping my finger off the fast forward on the remote. For one thing he was, as he admitted
a "very selfish man" who made many mistakes.
I had hoped that he would taper off his adventures but apparently not as is addressed at the end of the movie.

There were a number of goofs or inconsistencies that I usually overlook. There was a heavy storm that washed through the canyon nearly drowning him.
And he filled his water bottles but still ran out of water. And why didn't some of his equipment
wash away or his camera get wet?

Just an OK movie IMO 2**


No comments:

Post a Comment