Thursday, June 4, 2009

5***** Movie

DARK MATTER
One of the best films I've seen in years!
Directed by Shi-Zheng Chang
 Award for best director and writer at 2007 Sundance-
An Indie that I don't think ever made it to the usual theaters in spite of a cast that includes
Meryl Streep and Aidan Quinn. Great Chinese
actor Ye Liu

Great direction and cinematography.
Beautiful soundtrack - listen closely.
Themes - Culture, scientific competition, dreams
and aspirations.

Mesmerizing 

Begs to be discussed!

2 comments:

  1. I ordered it on NetFlix. Does anyone want to join me for a captioned viewing on Thurday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watched it alone, Kathy called in sick.
    Yes, an interesting blend of characters, (shallowness in the Americans) and dream sequences. I didn't see the end coming until the last, kept expecting one of the typical US film themes to make good. Hero challenges his master, and wins. Hero shyly flirts with girls and eventually wins, Hero foolishly jumps into a romance with a much older woman, no one wins.
    I liked the academia - over my head - but if felt authentic to me. I like the culture to culture tension. And the view of Chinese life. Wish I could have watched it with the son-in-law Ben. He speaks Cantonese. But he doesn’t watch R rated movies. The curse of Mormon in-laws! Can’t share some things.

    ReplyDelete