Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Disappointing Movies



There are two kinds of disappointing movies. The first are those that the buzz and the critics herald as great. But when I go and see them, they just fall flat.
#1 for 2009 was Up in the Air. Sure, it stars George Clooney and the director achieves some great airport and airplane shots but the story just didn't do it for me. I gave it 3***, very good but I don't see any Oscar material here.
#2 is 500 days of Summer. This received great hype last summer and is turning up on critic's top ten lists. Somewhat entertaining but only 2**. Boring looking for love, loving and loosing love story.
#3. It's Complicated was entertaining while watching it but hours and days later I kept asking myself; Why would they make and Meryl Streep accept a movie with such an unpleasant theme? I liked the adult children and could have seen more of Streep's 3 girl friends to balance Baldwin's disgusting character.

The other kind of disappointing movies are those that you wait and wait for and when they finally arrive in town they get blasted by the critics and word of mouth and you hesitate to go see them. Two in the theaters right not are:

Nine - I started reading and hearing about this film several months ago. A great cast.
Everyone from Judi Dench to Sophia Loren and Penelope Cruz, all centered around Daniel Day Lewis. Have not seen it yet but may if it sticks around a little longer.
Another film that has failed to live up to its predictions is Sherlock Holmes staring Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law. I looked forward to it but have stayed away because to me it is Sherlock Holmes cloned from Iron Man. And I don't think I want them messing around with the character of Sherlock Holmes. To me, Holmes was cerebral, not muscle. I have had two friends walk out of this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment