Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Story of a Mink Jacket

Close to 40 years ago I made an impulse buy. Not the usual impulse buy, but a black cross mink and leather jacket. I am not sure if it was on my lunch hour or if I had taken the afternoon off. I was to meet my friend, Marilyn at the Magic Pan downtown Minneapolis. Arriving early, I stopped in at Albrecht Furs; saw the Jacket and swooned.

After lunch we went back and I bought the jacket.

I was young, I was petite and I had a good job.
The jacket has given me great joy over the years.
I wore it to football games, to concerts and shopping. With blue jeans, black slacks and skirts and dresses. Often accented with red.

Alas, I am no longer young and no longer petite. I decided to donate it to a charity auction.
Call it karma, spiritual or a coincidence but a young woman sat down at my dinner table and said "I bid on a jacket and I really want it".

Being the only coat in the auction, I knew what she was talking about.

I shared with her the history of the jacket and how much I loved it.

At the "2 min. warning" we bounced up to the coat and met another woman who also wanted it.
That is what makes a charity auction exciting and helps make money for a non-profit charity.


The young woman at my table announced that she really wanted the jacket and would pay the value price. And wrote a generous check to Casa de Esperanza

She invited me to visit the coat at anytime.

The best news is that she has been seen in the community wearing it. And I know that it is loved and has a good home.

Who says that a mink doesn't belong in Arizona.
It is going to be 18 degrees tonight.

1 comment:

  1. The woman who bought your coat is probably the only one who isn't freezing today! Smart lady...

    ReplyDelete